Perhaps the most quoted out of context verse in the Bible

Now I can’t say for sure that this verse is the verse MOST quoted out of context, but I feel confident it would land in the top five at least. You will hear it used in the field of sports or inspirational talks around the world. It’s Philippians 4:13, “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.” Steph Curry writes that verse on his shoes before a game. It’s become his ‘mantra’ according to an interview he had with ESPN’s Nick DePaula. "It's a mantra that I live by and something that drives me every single day," Curry said. "It'll hopefully inspire people to find something that drives them, whether that's a verse or some other motivating force that keeps you hungry and keeps you driven."

Tim Tebow would often have Phil. 4:13 written on his eye black for football games. You can find plenty of T-shirts with the verse emblazoned on the front or back. You find this in the fitness world particularly. If you want to reach that new PR in your bench press, just remember “I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength.” I mean it has the word “strength” right in the verse so it has to be applicable.

I’ve heard this used before an interview for a new job or as someone prepares to give a major speech or a student about to take a difficult test. It’s used in all sorts of contexts but usually as a motivation and assurance that you can achieve your goals. “Whatever goals you have set for yourself, remember that you can do all things in Christ who strengthens you!” And so the mantra goes.

We have a problem though. That verse in isolation simply isn’t true. I get that people want to use it as a motivational verse to do more than what they thought was possible, but the fact is I can’t do ALL things in a generic sense. You can’t either. I can’t be a professional athlete in any major team sport no matter how hard I try. I am 53 years old. I could hire the best trainer out there, commit 6 hours a day to training, and secure a top-notch agent to represent me, but I’m still not going to the NBA, NFL, or any other major professional team sport. Nor am I going to beat top-ranked Chess Grand Master Magnus Carlsen in a chess game no matter how hard I try. I’m not ever going to be King of England. I’m not going to be the next UFC champion. I’m not going to ___________ (fill in the blank with a host of other items). 

Now let me make a quick clarification. God can and certainly does do miracles. He had ninety-year-old Sarah give birth to Isaac when she said, "I'm too old to have a baby." But that was His plan He was bringing about. What I'm saying is that this verse is not some God-given guarantee that I will accomplish all my personal goals. God will accomplish His goals in my life, but if my personal goals don't line up with His, I have no such promise. So my personal goal as a kid to be a wide receiver in the NFL just ain't happening at the age of 53 no matter how hard I try.

The phrase "all things" needs explanation and context. I simply can't do anything I put my mind to. This verse is not true when taken out of context, and we must not use it as a mere motivational meme to help fulfill our personal goals. That’s not why the Holy Spirit inspired Paul to write those words. When we consider the context, however, we discover that the words are absolutely true. We don’t need to reframe it as a motivational meme to help you meet your sales quota or finish your half-marathon. He gave it as a rock-solid truth to stand on no matter what life throws at you. Let’s look at the context.

We read in Philippians 4:10-13, “10I rejoiced in the Lord greatly that now at length you have revived your concern for me. You were indeed concerned for me, but you had no opportunity. 11Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content. 12I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need. 13I can do all things through him who strengthens me.

The Philippian believers had sent Paul a gift while he was in prison to help provide for his material needs. He was grateful for their gift and the love that it represented. However, even if he had not received a gift from them, he would be content. Paul had learned how to be content whatever his situation. He had experienced poverty and abundance, hunger and fullness, humiliation and honor, sleeplessness and rest, and the list could go on. Paul endured the spectrum of need during his ministry and experienced material blessing, but he had learned the secret of being content no matter the situation. How could he do that? What was his secret to contentment even as he wrote this letter from prison? “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.”

In context, Philippians 4:13 does not speak about Christ giving us an extra boost so we can achieve our personal goals. It’s not a motivational meme to help me “Be all I can be.” The verse speaks of finding contentment in Christ in any and every situation we may encounter. We might lose our job or contract an illness, but we can still find contentment in Christ. He can give us the strength to deal with any circumstance and find him sufficient to meet our needs. Paul is saying, “I can find contentment in all these things through Christ who gives me strength.”

When I consider the challenges and surprises life throws at us, I find this verse quite encouraging. The troubles and trials of this life won’t derail me or take away my joy because I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. On the flip side, if I experience great material blessing, I can stay focused on Christ rather than allow the “stuff” of this world to distract me because I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. There is nothing this world or the devil can throw at me that Christ is not sufficient to handle. Rest in that truth.

The next time you are thinking of quoting Philippians 4:13, I would encourage you to add verse 12. 12I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need. 13I can do all things through him who strengthens me.

God gave us verse 13 not to accomplish a new PR or some other goal, but to experience contentment in Christ no matter what. Christ is more than enough!

Comments

  1. Really enjoyed this article which makes so much more sense within the context.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I hope things are going well for all of you. I loved my time serving as an interim at Cornerstone. Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Give thanks in all circumstances?

A Heavenly Glimpse at the Life of VernaAnn