"Growing older" or "Older and growing"

Well, tomorrow I turn 36, give or take 15 years (lean heavily on the “give” side). When I was truly 36, I never understood the so called “mid-life crisis.” Why were those middle aged (or slightly past mid-age) people having issues anyway? At this point in my life, I think I get it. Stuff happens in your late forties and early fifties. Children leave home, parents and in-laws have more needs and one by one begin to pass away. You notice your own eyesight, hearing, and even hair diminishing. The physical activities you used to be able to at the very least need to be modified. You realize on a deeper level than ever before that your time on this planet is limited. And you wonder about your life. Have I made an impact on people? Is there still time to correct my previous missteps? What does God have next for me?

Fortunately, the LORD gives plenty of examples in scripture of those who navigated the seasons of life with purpose and significance. And the secret involves a constant pursuit of Christ. Of course, that’s the simplified version so let’s break that down a little bit. Pursuing Christ involves learning and living it out.

Jesus was constantly teaching His disciples as He walked this earth. Whether it was through a parable, life experience, or specific instruction, Jesus taught His disciples throughout His time on earth. And He didn’t stop when He left this earth either because He said in John 14:26, “But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, he will teach you all things and bring to your remembrance all that I have said to you.” Jesus is the teacher, and we are the students.

I feel at this stage in my life, I may have a stronger passion for learning than I did when I started out in ministry. I want to understand myself better to serve more effectively. That includes developing my gifts, maximizing my energy levels, guarding against my weaknesses, etc. I want to understand people better to help them grow in Christ. What’s their learning style? How are they motivated? How can I build into them? I want to understand God’s word, desires, and our culture better to see others come to faith in Christ. How is God moving in our world? How does God’s word speak to our current situation? How can we minister to the people of today in a way that speaks the truth in love?

We should never intentionally stop learning. If we do, we are saying, “I’m done with life. I’m going to sit down on the path of discipleship until Jesus comes and takes me to Heaven.” Such an attitude not only hurts you but might cause another disciple to trip over you as they try to walk down the path of discipleship. You could become a stumbling block if you decide to quit learning!

Now a quick caveat, learning varies with each person. In our broken world, strokes, brain trauma, Alzheimer’s disease, and other factors impact one’s ability to learn. Learning for some will not be what it is for others. That is why I say if we “intentionally” stop learning. Some decide they are done and just want their momentum to carry them down the path of discipleship. But I don’t recall reading about skateboards on that path. The path of discipleship requires walking and that involves intentionality and effort. No matter the season of life you’re in don’t stop learning.

However, don’t learn simply for head knowledge. The apostle Paul said, “Knowledge puffs up; love builds up.” We are called to be practical learners not merely content learners. When Jesus told His disciples, “Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me…” He wasn’t asking that we become Jeopardy’s next Ken Jennings. He was talking about how to live in a way that honors the Heavenly Father.

In the first century, a yoke was used on an ox for plowing the fields. Often two oxen were yoked together. If a young ox was learning how to plow under a yoke the farmer would yoke him with an older experienced ox who would bear the load and show the young ox how to do the job. That’s the image Jesus portrays here. He wants us to learn from Him how to honor the Heavenly Father and how to impact others in that same way. Yes, we need to learn some content, but content that we put into practice. God’s more concerned about how you apply what you learn than your performance in Bible trivia.

Every year that passes gives us one more year of life experience to draw on as we serve Jesus and influence others for Him. Each day is another opportunity to learn, grow, and influence others. I don’t know how many years (or days or hours for that matter) I have left on this planet and neither do you. But I do know as I turn 36 (give or take 15 years with the emphasis on “give”) that the Lord’s granted me an abundance of learning opportunities this past year and will continue to do so. I don’t want to sit down on the path of discipleship and cause others to stumble. I want to keep walking, keep learning, keep growing, and helping others along the way. 

So bring on 36 (or that “give 15 years” number if you want to be technical)!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Perhaps the most quoted out of context verse in the Bible

Give thanks in all circumstances?

A Heavenly Glimpse at the Life of VernaAnn