I Missed It!

"Christy, do you know where my keys are?" I rummaged around the bedroom and scurried to the living room in a frantic search.

"They're on your dresser," Christy replied in a calm and assuring way.

I scuttled back to the bedroom to look on the dresser again, growing more agitated with every lapsing second. "They're not here," I hastily asserted. "I've looked here already."

Christy entered the room, with a sense of calm but also an expression that says, "When will he learn?" She headed straight to the dresser, moved a pair of shorts that I had left there, and 'Ta-da,' my keys appeared.

Now I know I looked thoroughly for my keys, but somehow I missed them. Let me just mention something here as a side note. Wives, don't get upset when your husband asks you where something is before he has even looked for it. He is merely trying to be as efficient as he can with his time and energy. He knows that even if he looks for an hour, he will ultimately have to ask you and you will need to take thirty seconds to go and find the item. So your husband is not simply being lazy by asking you in the first place. He is merely trying to save time, energy, and frustration. So when he asks, just smile and get the item. You can consider it stress prevention for your husband. (This has been a public service anouncement for all married couples-now back to the main point.)

I don't know how I miss things that seem to be right in front of my face, but I do. Fortunately, most of those items aren't that important. Pilate, however, missed something life changing.

The dialogue between Pilate and Christ in John 18 has got to be one of the most powerful interchanges in scripture. The nature of the discussion certainly contributes to the power of it, for it focuses on the nature of Christ. Jesus ends the dialogue with these words, "You say correctly that I am a king. For this I have been born, and for this I have come into the world, to testify to the truth. Everyone who is of the truth hears My voice.” (NAS)

Pilate then responds with a phrase that frankly has come to represent the modern philosophy of man. Pilate replied, "What is truth?"

Interestingly enough, the Greek term for 'what' could also be translated 'who.' Though Pilate meant what is truth, he really should have asked who is truth. Truth was standing before him in the person of Jesus the Christ and Pilate missed it. What a tragedy!

As we approach the time of year when we celebrate the death and resurrection of our Lord Jesus, I wonder how many will miss it this season. How many people will go to a Resurrection Day service and hear about the glorious person of Jesus the Christ and miss it? The person of Truth will be presented and worshiped and so many in attendance will completely miss it.

The world is searching for truth. They are digging around higher education. They are scrambling to the business world and looking in success. They are searching through religious systems and 'spiritual' experiences. They are looking all over, but they can only find it in the person of Truth- JESUS. He alone gives meaning, forgiveness, hope, and life change. He is the Truth that humanity is looking for. Will they find it?

Maybe someone you know is calling out for help to find truth. They have been looking all over with no success. Perhaps God will use you to remove the 'pair of shorts' that's concealing what their looking for. Perhaps you can help someone find JESUS.

Pray and ask the LORD to use you in that way this year.

Comments

  1. This is the 2nd time this week that I've received unsolicited but helpful marriage advice from a real guy about real life. As I was reading I must've had my head cocked with a "huh?" look in response to your direction not to get irritated with requests like the one you described. Nonetheless, I'll take the advice out for a spin and see what happens. :-)
    Thanks for the reminders of truth. Read a couple of your other posts -- wish I didn't but I identify with the icy hill/burnt rubber/angry outburst episode. Different details but the same thing. Thankful for a loving, patient God who keeps fathering us toward maturity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cindy,

    Thanks for the comment. I think there is some uncanny womanly sense to know where things are. I truly can look for something for ten minutes with no success and when I ask Christy, she knows right where it is. I don't get it. But I'll be honest, I think she would love it if I figured it out and saved her the hassle of having to find things for me.

    I wonder if Eve had to find the fig leaves for Adam? I can hear it now, "Eve, where did I put my fig leaves?"

    "There hanging on the olive tree branch where you always put them."

    "I can't find them."

    "They're right here, Adam!"

    And thus began the marital game of seek and find.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Perhaps the most quoted out of context verse in the Bible

Give thanks in all circumstances?

A Heavenly Glimpse at the Life of VernaAnn